Tuesday 5 May 2015

39 Days of Running: 25% done

How time flies! I've been away for the past week at Afrikaburn (more on this in another post) with eight of my first 10 runs for my 39 Days of Running done away from home and four of these on the sandy, rocky and dusty terrain of the Karoo and in little towns on the out-and-back journey to the Northern Cape.

Let's see... this year's 39 Days of Running started on Saturday, 25 April; an early start this year so that I can finish this pre-birthday game before I head off to Expedition Africa.

This first run was done with my husky friends, Angel and Toscana.

Husky smiles

Toscana
Day 2 was done in Parys with Ruben and Kyla. As Kyla's bike had a puncture, they took turns. First Ruben rode while I ran and we headed down to the local park. It's about a 4.5km loop. Ruben (6) rides fast so I really had to run hard! We returned home and then it was Kyla's turn. We did the same loop. A good run.

Day 3 was also in Parys in the sweltering afternoon heat just before we left to drive to Afrikaburn. Cooking!

Day 4 was a half-hour run in the dark through the streets of Calvinia. What an awesome town! So clean and magnificent pavements.

Days 5 to 8 were at Afrikaburn. I ran between 30-45 minutes each day. Most runs at sunset, two in quite the dark. It's a big open area and it was great fun running on the roads and tracks around the camp.

Day 9 was a night run in Colesberg. Making my way up the hill from the centre of town an old guy in a red car pulled up next to me giving me a thumbs up and shouting "I've done three Comrades in my time".

Day 10, last night, I was back home for a quick 30 minute run in the dark through my local neighbourhood.

I'm looking forward to some longer runs over the next week.

No comments: