Thursday 3 April 2014

The joy of aiming for PBs

In November last year I started trekking (too steep to run!) up Gilloolies once a week. I started with two repeats and progressed to four (although I sometimes just do three). I was consistent for a few weeks and then got distracted and skipped a few weeks. I'm kinda back to it.

My previous personal best (PB) was 6:30 for an ascent - from rock to rock. Two weeks ago three of my four repeats beat or equalled this (6:17, 6:20, 6:30, 6:45). Yesterday I got my first sub-6 with 5:54. Hip-hip-hooray!

So, now to see whether a 5:30 is possible... it may take a few weeks yet but should, in theory, be doable.

The trail (not the one in the pic below) is very overgrown and the trail is gnarly with chunky and loose rocks. Loads of blackjacks too. It's helluva steep but is proving to be really good training.

Thanks to running buddies who join me there - initially Michael and more recently, Jason and Rob.


No comments: