Monday 10 September 2012

O scouting, tagging and planning

There were two parts to my trip to Limpopo Province this past weekend.

One was to visit a school outside of Polokwane that we've been in contact with around orienteering. I'm busy doing an article for the orienteering website so there will be more on this in that post. The welcome we received from this small school really was overwhelming and left there feeling very warm. Mary invited us back to her home after the reception at the school and there we were treated to an unexpected meal, which Mary, Ephraim and Mary's son whipped up. Talk about royal treatment! Yes, very, very warm indeed.

Mary (an amazing teacher), Garry, Ephraim (our star mapper and award recipient), Jill (keen on orienteering) and me.
The next part was our weekend spent in the Haenertsberg area to scout for an tag control locations for SA Orienteering Champs, which happens in two weeks. Garry and I were met by Brian and Stijn. We spent the whole of Sat and half of Sunday in the forests of the area. Beautiful.

A highlight for me was a patch of indigenous forest that we went through - incredibly beautiful.

Brian grew up in this area and his folks live in Haenertsberg. How is this... Brian's mom went to school with my mom in Zimbabwe! They're the same age and year and were on the swimming and netball team together. Brian's mom also remembers my dad, who she met through her older brother. And I've know Brian for about 10 years - the connection was made when I met Brian's mom on Friday night. She recognised my surname but it was only the next night when we were chatting over dinner that we made the connection with my mom. Isn't this incredible!

Me, Garry, Stijn and Brian. 
Brian, Stijn, me and Garry

love-love-love!

In fabulous forest
Left or right?

No comments: