Thursday 16 June 2011

Sore paw, nice nite O runnin', full moon run and metrogaine

I've been running on a sore paw the past few days; actually, two sore paws.

At dance class on Monday night I started off by cutting the back of my right heel on the bottom of the pole. Really silly. Not a deep cut but a nice vertical slice that is irritated even by walking on my heel - like one of those paper cuts on the bend of a finger that keeps opening. As I've realised, I think I did a bit of bruising at the same time because it is more sore than just the cut should be. It is actually better running on it than walking as I don't heel strike much when running. And then, about an hour later, I bruised the forefoot of my left foot! That was a sore one and I've felt it on runs. On Tuesday it was quite swollen and felt like I had a wad of gauze under my sole - much improved this morning.

The bottom of the poles in our studio are quite rough with big nuts, an edge and a rough thread on the metal, which turns to secure the pole. I've clipped my toes before - on odd occasions - and it hurts. I haven't done this kinda bruising damage to my feet before - and twice on one night! Silly.

Tues and Wed were nice and short 5km and 6km runs to go easy on my paws.

Tonight is a night orienteering event hosted by the junior orienteers at Wits University, my alma mater. Although I don't go on campus often, it is familiar ground and I enjoy the tricky navigation between buildings, so I'm looking forward to it. The thing with Wits is that there's a lot of up and down. We start running from the bottom of campus - bottom of the hill - and will certainly do lots of up and down. *phew* Nice to do this run for D31. Straight line distance is 3km... I hope to make 4km from it - may need to run around the field a bit to make sure.

Friday is the full moon run (awesome total eclipse last night eh?) but will be a short one because of SA O Champs on Saturday. Email/text me if you are planning to run with me; I'd rather head off earlier - like by 17h00 - for a short run because of Gauteng O Champs this weekend (middle distance on Sat a'noon and long distance on Sun morning).

I finished scouting locations for my Winter Metrogaine event on Tuesday. I think it's a pretty good route and running through the suburbs around Zoo Lake at night is going to be fabulous. Today, a public holiday, I'll finish all the graphics on the map, removing street names and typing up control location clues. Remember that entries need to be by Monday morning for map printing. http://www.ar.co.za/2011/05/winter-metrogaine-21-june-2011/

No comments: