Saturday 16 April 2011

Hi-Tec Infinity Challenge

I think I know why it is called the 'Infinity Challenge' - and it ain't because of the new Hi-Tec Infinity trail shoe that has recently launched... it's because this two kilometre distance feels like an infinite distance when you're running at a 7% gradient! Hahaha

Today I took on the Hi-Tec Infinity Challenge and, lucky for me, it was held at the Cape Union Mart store in the mall not two kilometres from home. After a morning of being all over Jo'burg, I got through to the store at a bit after 14h00; in time to catch AR friend Jeremy on the treadmill. Nathan and Michael had already run.

I've had the Challenge on my mind since it started this month and I've been looking forward - apprehensively - to it the whole week. Just thinking about the 'race' elevates my heart rate. I mean, I'm going into this Challenge knowing that I can't run two kays on a flat road in the 8:30 time-to-beat. It's a little daunting to contemplate giving it a good shot with an added incline.

The super friendly Hi-Tec crew added to the vibe and in next to no time it was my turn. A number of runners had blown completely by the end of the first kilometre - going out too fast - so my strategy was to take my usual conservative approach to make sure I had the legs in the latter stages to work it.

Out of the gates: Ian giving me encouragement

My objective was to keep it nice and steady, especially as I was essentially going into the run cold, and to work the incline as it increases by 1% automatically every 130m. I didn't want to die a death and end up hanging on to the machine or spat out the back...


After 500m, Jeannie is already 230m ahead of me...
I brought along my MP3 goodie, on which I have tunes that are chosen for their pacing - number of beats per minute. Music on a treadmill, for me, is a big kick, especially when I'm working hard. It keeps my focus and the pacing keeps me on track. I didn't want to slack off or be too distracted by the spectators.

In the zone with not much further to go. Is Ian laughing at me? Hahaha. Bruce on my left.

Although my overall result was... kuk, for my personal running I was pretty pleased. I kept a consistent pace as the treadmill went up and up and up. Sure, the Jeannie Bomford avatar was running away from me; but it would have run away from me on a flat road anyway.


Ian reminding me that I don't have far to go because Jeannie's avatar is nearing at the end. I'm still climbing! The red bubble on screen warns of yet another 'Steep Incline Ahead'.

What was interesting from today's Infinity Challenge was that times were consistently than the coastal runs from the first and second weekends in April. Both Ian and Bruce ran slower times. Altitude. The mall is at about 1700m. Jeannie's time was set at sea-level but even taking into consideration a 30-40 second slowing, I would have still finished 400m behind her.

So, I ended up about 600m behind Jeannie *sigh* What was quite frustrating was that as I was approaching 1.3km - still running uphill - Jeannie's avatar was flying on the relative flat at under 4km/hr. I've never even run at under 4km/hr! ;)

Clutching my Hi-Tec Infinity Challenge Buff and water bottle. Yeah, breathing hard!

What I was pleased about it that I ran the incline steadily and strongly - more so than if I'd been on the road. The mucis helped to keep my pace consistent and to avoid the temptation to slack off. And by the end of the incline I still had gas in the tank for the rest. But then Jeannie's avatar reached the end, meaning the end of my run too.

Participants get to try a pair of Hi-Tec Infinity shoes, if they don't have their own. I have the green men's model; so I gave the ladies shoes a try for the Challenge. Personally, I prefer the mens shoe. Suits my feet better (and that green is delicious!).

My efforts did score me a very cool Infinity Challenge Buff for my collection; I'll take it to the Kinetic Adventure event tomorrow, which I'm doing with the girls - Vicky and Jackie. We've had rain since Friday so tomorrow is certain to be chilly and wet.

Ian, Ben and your Hi-Tec team - thank you for a really fun and challenging Infinity Challenge. A super set-up that was well organised and the screen and bit were fabulous.

1 comment:

RunRideDive said...

Great stuff Lisa!
View the video of Lisa giving it horns here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtnXmuf5mg