Monday 3 January 2011

Seven years of consecutive days of running

I have an AR/ultra/media friend, Clive, who is now just over 2550 consecutive days of running. He holds a top position in a major international company, has a family, travels extensively for work, participates in races regularly and, with all of this, he has run every day for almost seven years.

I dropped him a note to ask how he does it. I know that I'm constantly striving for some kind of balance where I don't compromise on time for me (especially for running) in place of completing tasks for others. And yet, again and again, I find that I miss out on this or that run. I also think it is silly because running is important to me so making time, even 30-minutes, should be easy.

I felt it a lot this year, especially over the past six months, due to paddle training for Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge. Sure, my paddling is great and I've been loving it, but the time dedicated to paddling was to the detriment of my running.

I dropped Clive an email to ask, "How do you do it?", plus some specific questions, and this is his reply:
Before I started my streak I'd always trained a lot, maybe 330 days a year so the step up to 365 days wasn't much. After I realised that I had run every day for three months I wanted to go for six, then a year... Well you can guess the rest. Once I had done a year the question was always: "is it a good enough reason not to run?" and the answer has always been no. So in the end it becomes a virtuous circle.


Yes, there have been times when I could hardly walk with injury or badly hobbling after a race (Badwater 2009 springs to mind) but I've always managed something.

I've always got running kit somewhere, in the car, in the office and so on. I travel all the time so managing my time is critical and when I think I won't have control of my day I make sure I run early in the morning. By the time night comes around I'd rather have a glass of wine :)

But we always compromise, my kayak is less than a couple of kilometres away and I should have paddled more these last few weeks; my bikes haven't been ridden for weeks; I would love to have done some more abseiling recently. There is never enough time...

No comments: