Sunday 14 November 2010

Friendly running

I don't often run with people because I generally don't like being tied to fixed running times. Paddling fixtures work well (afterall, I usually paddle double!); but for running I like variability.

That said, a few years ago I used to run every Friday night, during a winter, with a friend who lived nearby. We'd go out for about two hours, touring through the suburb under cover of night. My regular circuit training group, which has been somewhat irregular since June, is also great fun. Circuit is something that is way more enjoyable when done with friends. I also enjoy irregular run outings with friends - these are usually trips to Suikerbosrand, most often with Tony, who loves the place too.

Yesterday I had a treat, a lovely afternoon road run with Tania, my orienteering and rogaining buddy. We set this date about two months ago! I met Tania at her place in Bryanston for a 16h00 run. Driving to her place my car's thermometer read 36C - ja, a hot afternoon.

Bryanston is a leafy suburb so we kept mostly to shaded pavements as we ran and chatted without interruption. Although we see each other at orienteering events, the opportunity to really catch up is rare. Events are usually little more than "Hi" and "Bye" greetings.

Glorious summer afternoon - running in 34C temperature. Very sweaty post-run. With Tania.
Lives filled with work, training, events, hobbies and other committments (children, family etc) leave too little time to be spent with friends. I certainly don't have the balance right, which is why my run yesterday, with Tania, was a special treat and thoroughly enjoyable for the activity and even more for her company.

No comments: