Sunday 12 September 2010

Generation bump

My circuit training buddies for our Friday evening sessionare a bit younger than me. We're talking an age gap of nine to 16 years.

This Friday we were talking about the Kinetic Adventure race and who would be racing and with whom. I say that I'm racing with Lizelle and Lizelle again and add, "It's a bit like, 'Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl.".

I start laughing and they're all looking at me with blank expressions.

They were only just born in the 80s, of course they wouldn't know 'Newhart', a tv comedy programme with Bob Newhart as the owner of an inn. According to Wiki the show aired on CBS in Oct 1982 and run until May 1990.

Larry and The Darryls didn't appear much in the show until the second series and by the third series they're much-loved regulars. Everytime they make an appearance, Larry introduces the group with, "Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl.".

I found this lovely clip online, from the second episode of 'Newhart' when the brothers make their first appearance on the show. [Larry, played by William Sanderson, is Sheriff Dearborne in the True Blood series]

No comments: