Monday 30 August 2010

Green feet are happy feet

My dear friend, Michael, came out to SA just over a week ago. He has been working in the US for the past few months. Taking advantage of his time in the US, I asked Michael to bring a pair of the new Bikila model of the Vibram FiveFingers.


Barefoot running has been an 'in' thing for the last year or so, made popular by Chris McDougall's book, 'Born to Run'.

Two years ago, when I was still Gear Editor for Runner's World SA magazine, I received a pair of Vibrams (Sprint model) from the local agent. I'd only worn them a few times when my house was broken into and they were swiped, along with all my trail and road shoes! I've wanted a pair since.

My 'green feet' arrived on Thursday and I've spent some time walking around in them over the past few days, the first stage in my acclimatisation. This afternoon I'm going to give them a short run, on grass. It is advised that you slowly get into them, gradually increasing distance and introducing different terrain.

I've been running in my Salomon Slabs since the beginning of the year and I think that what I have enjoyed most about them is their 'unintrusive' structure. They're kind of like the 'racing flats' of trail running. It took a while to adjust to them on rocky highveld terrain, which they're really not made for (they would be great on smooth US and European trails). I have to take extra care with my foot placements to avoid clipping rocks, because the shoe offers little protection. But it works for me and my feet enjoy them. Highveld terrain does tend to eat them up. Fivefingers are the next step and I'm looking forward to this journey.

No comments: