Thursday 21 September 2006

10km in 45-minutes?

My PB on a 10km is 44-minutes... but that was a good 6-years ago when I was running short distances fast and the ultra distance bug hadn't bitten.
Since 2000 my times got slower and slower reaching an all-time low of 60-minutes for a 10km. *shock and horror*. In reality, an hour is respectable (6min/km pace) but when you've run faster, it's a shocker. Over the last 2-years I've taken my times down to a consistent 50-52-minute 10km and a few weeks ago I ran a 49-minute 10km (only just).

I'm now on a mission.

I've had Norrie's book on ultra distance running for a year already. At the back he has a "45-minute 10km" programme. It's a 7-week programme and I started it on Monday.

I often check out running programmes in books and mags looking for ideas and fun training alternatives but I never actually follow the programme. I'm going to give it a try. It ain't gonna be easy to chop 5-minutes off my current pace dropping it from a steady 5:00/km to 4:30/km average. Those 30-seconds per kilometer do make a difference. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: